Nothing else reminds me more of summertime than a fruit salad. Chef Cedric Tovar’s watermelon and pickled green papaya salad is like taking a dip in the pool on a hot summer’s day. Refreshingly sweet watermelon is paired with tangy pickled green papaya and is all tied together with a splash of WorldFoods Coconut and Lime Dressing to create a chorus of sweet, salty, and sour flavors that sing in your mouth. Cedric made this at the launch party for World to Table, and it was so good I decided to make it again myself.
Note: Green papaya is just an unripened papaya; the skin is dark green and the fruit is firm. It is commonly used in Thai cuisine for curries, stews, and salads.
Watermelon & Pickled Green Papaya Salad Recipe (yields 4-6 servings)
1/4 watermelon (or 1/2 of a smaller watermelon)
1 small green papaya
1/2 cup sushi rice vinegar
A few springs of mint and/or basil
1 tsp black pepper
WorldFoods Coconut and Lime Dressing
1 large mixing bowl
1 melon ball scooper (optional)
1. Peel the green papaya, cutting it into four pieces, length-wise
2. Julienne the papaya pieces using the mandolin
3. Pickle the green papaya in sushi rice vinegar for 30 minutes
4. Drizzle WorldFoods Coconut and Lime Dressing and toss
5. Scoop out watermelon balls or cut into bite-size cubes
6. Add the watermelon on top of the pickled papaya
7. Garnish with mint leaves and hand torn basil leaves
8. Crack some fresh black pepper on top…voila!